Our Creative Lead, Jenna, embarked on her first overseas adventure almost 20 years ago. Here are all the things she wished she’d known….
I recently heard that nostalgic ‘Wear Sunscreen’ track and it took me right back. To a time where I didn’t fully appreciate the lyrics. The irony of it.
I travelled the world with my first love at 18, toured Australia alone at 21 and lived in New York when I was 25. Every experience, every interaction, every challenge, left its mark on me in all the right ways, at a time in my life where I felt equally invincible and apprehensive.
Perhaps it’s the approach to the latter part of my thirties that I’m reminiscing about the adventures I had in my youth, before reality and responsibilities took hold, but here are the top 10 things I really wish I’d known…
1. Those anxious moments where you realise you’ve pushed yourself out of your comfort zone will most definitely shape you as a person and teach you things about yourself that you would never have learnt when you were comfortable.
2. Solo travel will open you up to people that will have a lasting impression throughout your life. No bond will ever compare and those memories will lift you in your darkest moments.
3. Don’t worry that you don’t seem to hunger for the same future as everyone else. There’s no rush to make any decisions.
4. Challenge anything you don’t feel comfortable with. Trust that gut feeling deep down inside of you. That instinct will be your guiding light throughout your life and take you places you never imagined.
5. Make career decisions based on your passions – not location. Or the opinion of those who don’t understand you as a person.
6. Don’t sweat the small stuff. What seems like a big deal today won’t be tomorrow.
7. Spend more time being present than worrying about the future.
8. Fall in love (and out of it) fearlessly. Heartache will make you tough but it certainly won’t last forever or define you.
9. Listen more than you talk. Ask an infinite amount of questions.
10. Wear sunscreen.
“I’m sure you will enjoy it, I have been on three solos holidays to date and the people I’ve met have been great.”
“I’ve been travelling with Solos for nearly 20 years, on and off. The reason is for exactly what you want – you meet like minded people… and have loads of fun!”
“I’ve been on loads of trips with Solos over the years and can honestly say you will not regret booking your 1st one!”
“The feeling you have once you go away on your own is worth all the nerves before! I was so very anxious the first time but now having done it 4 times, I love it!”